Sunday, April 24, 2011

Violence and Murder

Juveniles accounted for 10% of those arrested during the 1980's for murder. By 1990, one in six people arrested for murder was a juvenile.

Today, murder constitutes 5% of arrests of juveniles for violent crimes.

Other juvenile statistics:
Rape accounts for 12% of violent crimes.
Robbery accounts for 14% of violent crimes.
Aggravated assault accounts for 12%.

In one year, 1700 juveniles were involved in 1400 murders. Of these, 130 were committed by females. Approximately 10% of these murders were committed using firearms. 40% involved two or more perpetrators. 56% of the victims were acquainted with their killers. Two percent of the murder victims were parents of the perpetrators.

Juvenile arrests for homicide and other violent crimes increased 90% during a recent 10-year period.

Whether violent or not, juvenile crime is most likely to occur on school days right after dismissal. On non-school days, the most likely time for juvenile crime to occur is between 8 and 10 pm.

22 comments:

  1. I think that if there are harsher punishments for juveniles, then many repeat offenders woulnd't have the chance to still be out on the streets and committ these violent crimes. I would like to see more juveniles prosecuted as adults, insted of giving them chance after chance to change.
    -Jordan Tipton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I also believe that there should be harsher punishments for juvenile offenders. I think that it also comes down to what kind of family structure is at home. There are many families that the children only see the parents maybe a couple of hours in a day because the parents are up early going to work and don't come home til late so the kids may never see there parents. This is why many juveniles fall into the wrong crowds and end up committing crimes.

    -Blake Larkin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of this comes down to the family that surrounds the juvenile. The parents need to keep their child out of trouble. If there aren't parents around to do so, the juvenile should have an after school activity to keep them busy and out of trouble. I think if the punishment for juveniles who commit crimes was harsher we would see a decrease in such crimes.

    Cody Allen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Communities should implement after school programs for the students so they can have productive things to do after school. On the weekend police should increase their patrol to watch these students so they can stay out of trouble. Javier L-K

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think their should be harsher punishments as well. One thing that does not help in the big cities is the gangs that instigate these crimes and little kids that see this stuff. I think if America got control of the gangs their would be less Juvy crimes.
    Andrew List

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, I think that there should be harsher punishments because they are going to think that they can continue doing these harsh violent crimes. That way if the punishments are harsher then other children would see how harsh the punishment is and maybe it would make them think twice before they commit a crime.

    Candice Reynolds

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is unthinkable, I know that some kids kill to protect themselves, but some kids plot on the violence that they do. Knowing that their record will be expunged at 18, they think its getting off easy. I understand that depending on the crime, the teen may be trialed as an adult, which is fair. Because if a grown women killed her husband in self defense, there is a chance that she gets life and a teen gets off at 18. Harsher punishments are sometimes needed.

    Martisha Bush

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, I think harsher punishments may be in order, but parents need to help keep their kids out of trouble along with the school as well by setting up after school programs or sports to keep the kids busy and off the streets.
    Matt Gorges

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, I too think punishment should be harsher. They need to know that it is not some kind of a joke but it is real, and they are ending someone's life. If they commit a crime more than once, something needs to be done. Also there should be a place for these young kids to go if they need help or just want to get away from the troubles at home.
    Christina Cathcart

    ReplyDelete
  10. The reason why i believe that teenagers cause trouble is because that they have nothing to do after school or they might hang around the wrong the wrong crowd which cause them to do bad things. Some kids do some of the things they do because the really never had any home training.
    Jeacky Charles

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe many of these juveniles know full well what they are doing, and are not just reaction/emotional crimes. A lesser tolerance should be enforced to cut down on these. Also the earlier stages in life should start incorporating a more self-realization correction. This might help instill a better conscience and awareness of their actions.
    Jack Wedemeier

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Javy and Cody> If the parents punished there kids when they did bad things and taught them right from wrong a lot of them would be a little more skeptical about committing a crime because they know that there are consequences. Also the parents should treat the juveniles as juveniles and get them involved in things like sports or other after school programs instead of letting them be on Facebook all night. Kids these days don't experience a true childhood because they grow up too fast.
    Tiffany Belger

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since these crimes are committed usually after school I like the idea of after school sport and activities but some kids just wont participate. In which case you look to the parents and their raising of the child. A child without discipline has a careless attitude and is not afraid of getting into trouble, with these kids you have to give them a harsher punishment. I do agree with the fact that kids are growing up way to fast these days and are experiencing different things way too early, if this is the case they should be well aware of what they are doing and should be educated earlier of what can happen if you commit crimes.
    Meredith Coleman

    ReplyDelete
  14. These facts are very appealing to me, its good to see that juviniles are less involved with murder. Unlike the 1990s juviniles are no so much involved with murder and physical crimes such as battery and so forth. Maybe our goverentment wanted to lessen the percent of juviniles involved with phsyical crime. I'm not sure but something happened to where more peace evolved from the juviniles than hands on crime. I agree with the part that says alot of the hands on crimes happens right after school because I have been in and seen fights after school off school grounds

    Jonathan Davis

    ReplyDelete
  15. Juveniles should have harsher punishment. After reading the statistics I was flabbergasted of how high they were. Our justice system needs to do a better job in helping these kids earlier because I can guarantte before these kids comitted murder, they committed a way more less serious crimes before it. All in all, juveniles need harsher punishments because I bet most don't really know the horrible consequences of this serious crime
    Samantha Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  16. The times of high crime for juvenile delinquents occur during times in which they are largely unsupervised. Lack of supervision by parents or other caretakers, and no place to go puts juveniles susceptible to a number of risk factors that may contribute to violent behavior. Implementing programs for juveniles after school and increasing parental supervision would largely help to combat the problem.
    -J. Huddleston

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think harsher punishments may be needed, but parents need to help keep their kids out of trouble. They need to do so by helping with the school work as well as setting up after school programs or sports to keep the kids busy and off the streets.

    Brett Henson

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that it is the parent’s responsibility to instill good morals and ideals into their children. I also believe that it is important to push children to participate in productive and educational activities in their spare time. When left to their own devices, more times than not, children and teens are just going to get themselves into trouble. Finally I also believe that there needs to be harsher punishment for serious crimes. Children are smart and for the most part they know the difference between right and wrong.

    -Rebecca Arns

    ReplyDelete
  19. i fell that is why after school programs are so important. If children were more involved in school than that would be great. I also feel like parent should keep a closer watch, give curfews and make their children check in. My psrents use to make me call and check in or actually come to the house if i was close enough. Children are capable of anything because they are constantley trying thier hardest to fit in with others and thats why gangs are so dangerous.


    ** Danielle Flores

    ReplyDelete
  20. Many of these delinquent juveniles have no positive influence in their life. That mixed with free time after school is a bad combination. After school programs are a necessity and they should be run by positive, passionate, and enthusiastic individuals. This special individual is hard to come by but I believe that juvenile crimes will decrease if our juveniles have "better" influences in their lives.
    -Abe Dirnberger

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think many juvenile delinquents are the way they are because of their life, their attitude, and being bored. If they would have more to do with their day, they wouldn't really have time to get into trouble and would maybe be more productive. They might also have a better life if their families were different. Unfortunately, it is what it is. I really don't think that there is a fool-proof way to get rid of juvenile delinquency 100%.

    ~Kaylyn Barclay

    ReplyDelete
  22. The last snippet about when juveniles are most likely to commit crime does not surprise me in the least. I think most of us thought curfew was a joke back when we were kids and didn't understand why parents were so paranoid about it. Parents do know some things I guess! These statistics really shed light on the importance of some status laws and how vital they are to keeping kids out of trouble and keeping them on the right track.

    ~Kevin Alte

    ReplyDelete